Friday, May 13, 2011

Princess Pie




Princess Pie is something we enjoy when my husband is not here to enjoy it with us.  The poor thing never acquired a taste for coconut.  The texture isn't something he enjoys, therefore, no Princess Pie for the princesses when we're dining with him:(   

Homemade coconut cream pie is something I grew up on and though I don't often have time to make the cream filling (nor do I want to do all that work for something my husband won't even eat), this dessert is an excellent substitute.  The homemade crust and toasted coconut sandwich the creamy-coconuty filling and is quite delightful. 

Try this dessert with any pudding flavor and omit the coconut and replace it with something complementary....like chopped nuts with chocolate pudding or bananas with vanilla pudding.  You might have a new potluck pleaser!

The name Princess Pie was something my mom, sister and I named this 'Cool Coconut Dessert' when we served it to our girls...all three girls are princess-bonkers right now...and they loved that!  My mom gave me this recipe.  Her recipe puts this in a 9x13 pan and doubles the pudding filling, using two packages and 3 cups of milk.  I use an 8x8 inch pan and like the thick layers.  Try it both ways and decide for yourself.

Princess Pie
crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans - optional

Mix and pat in an 8x8 inch pan, bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until just beginning to turn golden.  Do not over bake.

Layer two:
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup whipped topping

Beat together sugar and cream cheese.  Fold in whipped topping.  Spread on cooled crust.

Layer three:
1 small package coconut cream instant pudding
1 1/2 cups whole milk (any milk will do, but whole milk makes pudding so much tastier)

Mix until thickened.  Spread over cream cheese mixture.

Top with remaining tub of whipped topping.

Toast 1 cup coconut.  Sprinkle evenly on dessert.  Refrigerate.


Linking up with :  FamilyFreshMeals, GooseberryPatchBlog

14 comments:

  1. I love how bright this is :) It would bring great color to the table :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for a recipe like this.My friend makes one like this she calls sin pie. She tops it with chopped pecans across the top. So good . I am making one for the next pot luck and making sure to get some to the preacher . Thought it would be fun to feed him a little sin .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw this on GP and it looks deadly. I cant wait to try the recipe. I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks awesome! coconut is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely loved this and so did my family. I've had to teach myself how to cook so my desserts haven't always turned out.. lol... but this was so easy and my husband said it was restaurant quality. lol. this will be my signature dessert at family gatherings. thanks!);)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a coconut person either. I thought about the variations I could put on this. Instead of coconut cream pudding, the following are some that could be substituted: pistachio (with pistachio nuts on top), chocolate with choc. chips, nuts, or chocolate shavings on top. Vanilla, with lots of topping options. Lemon with optional toppings. We are as limited as our imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems to me if your husband simply does not like the texture of coconut why not just omit the toasted coconut on a portion of this pie for him and he just might enjoy it as much as you do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what we do...if he requests it. Usually we have more than one dessert option and it's an option of his choosing, so it's not a big deal to him:) Thanks for looking out for him though!!

      Delete
  8. we grew up calling this 'Bettys Dessert' in the 80's though i am not sure why? We have changed out the coconut pudding at times for chocolate or butterscotch.. with equally great results. we just leave the coconut off the top.. I also when making the 9x13 pan use one coconut and one french vanilla pudding rather than two coconut puddings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. The smaller one, 8 ounces. I've used additional Cool Whip for a thicker topping. Make it to suit your taste!

      Delete
  10. Try it with lemon or chocolate (w/o the coconut, and chopped pecans on top) yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Taking this to a church fundraiser tomorrow. I am making two other pies that I have made before but I wanted to take something new as well. This turned out FANTASTIC.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit Stella B's Kitchen and for sharing your thoughts and recipe results here in the comment section! I look forward to reading them!! I would love to respond personally to every one, but as a busy mom, I generally respond here on the blog rather than email. Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...