Friday, December 9, 2011

Sugar Cookies {Cut Outs}





My favorite Christmas cookie, the Cut Out!  Mom made these every year with us and welcomed our help rolling, baking and icing.  I'm sure four kids made a ridiculous mess though she didn't mind, or maybe she never complained.


Everyone was gung-ho to start frosting, but after a couple cookies the help slowly trickled away.  I was usually the last one standing.  Funny how some things never change.  This is MY specialty cookie at the holidays {or maybe I'm the only sucker who will take on the task}.  I love doing it and will continue to pump out how ever many cookies my mom and sister ask for ...until my girls take over some day...{Some-day.  I didn't earn the name Monica Geller over the holidays for nothing.  I'm working on that.}    


Cut Out Sugar Cookies
recipe makes about 6-7 dozen medium sized cut outs

4 1/2 cups flour
1/1/2 tsp soda
3 tsp cream of tartar
3 sticks butter, softened
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Sift dry ingredients together.  Work in butter, then eggs and vanilla.  Mix until combined.  Chill dough 30 minutes to make rolling easier.  Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on floured surface and cut out desired shapes.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until edges are beginning to turn golden.  Cool.  Store in airtight container or freeze.  To ice, see below.  


Icing:
2 Tbsp softened butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4-1/2 cup milk to thin

Beat butter with small amount of powdered sugar to make sure there aren't any small chunks of butter in frosting.  When smooth, add some milk.  Blend.  Add more powdered sugar.  Repeat by adding milk and powdered sugar until you have used 3 cups of powdered sugar and reached the desired thickness with the milk.  ***DON'T pour all the milk in at once.  You may not need the full 1/2 cup.  Add more powdered sugar if it too thin.  {Ribbons will disappear in 3-5 seconds when a spoonful is poured into the bowl}  

Divide icing in bowls according to how many colors you plan to decorate with.  Cover icing when not using, it dries quickly.  Icing doesn't store well.  My two weapons of choice when decorating cut outs?  A butter knife and a pile of toothpicks.  That's it!  The edges aren't perfectly, neatly iced, but we're okay with that. 

*Keep checking back, I have several more recipes to share this week and month!!  

2 comments:

  1. Sugar cookies are my absolute favorite any time of year! These are so pretty. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a great job on your cookies! I love all the bright colors!

    Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring yo this week. Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit Stella B's Kitchen and for sharing your thoughts and recipe results here in the comment section! I look forward to reading them!! I would love to respond personally to every one, but as a busy mom, I generally respond here on the blog rather than email. Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...