Thursday, April 26, 2012

Seven Layer Salad




This salad has always been one of my favorites.  Known as a seven layer salad, the number of layers is up to you.  Try chopped spinach leaves mixed in with the romaine if you have some and assemble it with whatever ingredients you want showing on top.  This recipe is for an 8x8 inch pan, better for our smaller diners, but you can easily double it for a 9x13.  I tend to make this when I have a couple left over slices of bacon from Sunday breakfast.  This week I had all the other ingredients in the fridge, so I couldn't resist.  


Seven Layer Salad
recipe by Stella B's Kitchen
printer friendly version


1 head 'hearts of romaine' Romaine lettuce, chopped
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp sugar
1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice, up to 1 Tbsp to thin dressing if desired
1/4 - 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
2 thick slices bacon, cooked, chopped


Clean and chop lettuce in bite size pieces.  Place in serving dish.  Sprinkle with pepper and onion.  In a bowl, mix mayo, sour cream, pepper, sugar and lemon juice.  



Pour dressing on lettuce.

Spread evenly over lettuce.

Top with peas, cheese and bacon.   Cover and refrigerate a few hours before serving.  Will keep up to two days in the refrigerator.


Sharing with: TheCountryCook4LittleFergusonsMeetPennyTheBetterBaker,  TheSunflowerSupperClub, BaconTimeWithTheHungryHypo,  NaptimeCrafters,   DwellOnFriday,  LittleBeckyHomecky  

8 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! Thanks for stopping by my blog from the UBP12. I'm always excited to find new recipes and it looks like I'm in the right place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has always been one of my favorites as well! Your photos make me want to come through the screen! Have a great weekend and thanks for linking up to the Weekend Potluck. Very sweet of you to list all of us! I'm pinning this as we speak! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks sooo good! Your photos are gorgeous. I'm not a salad lover, except for this salad, and I could eat the whole thing. Thanks so much for linking up at Weekend Potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stella! I'm just stopping over from Pretty Providence, so glad you came by and said hello! I am your newest follower. My little sister was deathly allergic to nuts & peanut butter as well so I am still wary of putting it in recipes even though we are all grown now. It made me happy to know that that recipe would work for your family :). I hope they like it as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. We eat primal foods only and this is primal approved for sure. Yummy!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely salad. It would be great if you linked it in to today's Food on Friday which is collecting salad recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit Stella B's Kitchen and for sharing your thoughts and recipe results here in the comment section! I look forward to reading them!! I would love to respond personally to every one, but as a busy mom, I generally respond here on the blog rather than email. Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...