Saturday, May 26, 2012

Vegetable Medley Casserole



Steamed vegetables baked in a creamy sauce and topped with cheesy bread crumbs are a divine side dish.  I made this recently with Spinach & Sausage Pork Loin and the two together were so delicious!  


Since the pork loin had to bake for a bit, I used that time to steam the vegetables and make a cream sauce.  Start with the cauliflower, end with the broccoli and toss them all into a baking dish. 
  


Pour in the cream sauce and gently mix to distribute and top with bread crumbs.


Bake until hot and bubbly and the bread crumbs are nicely browned.




Vegetable Medley Casserole
recipe by Stella B's Kitchen
printer friendly recipe


serves 8-10


crumb topping:
1 cup crushed Ritz crackers, or whatever breadcrumbs you like
1 clove garlic, grate on microplane or mince super fine
dash each salt and pepper
1-2 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup shredded cheese (combination of shredded Parmesan & cheddar)


vegetables:
2 cups baby carrots, steamed for about 7-8 minutes
3 cups chopped cauliflower, steamed for about 5 minutes
3 cups chopped broccoli, steamed for about 4 minutes


cream sauce:
3 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1- 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
1/2 cup skim milk
2 Tbsp half & half cream
1/2 cup shredded cheese (combination of shredded Parmesan and cheddar)


Steam vegetables until crisp-tender.  Set in greased casserole dish.  Mine was about 8.5 x 10.5 x 2.5 inches)  In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add flour and garlic.  Stir constantly for a minute or two.  With a whisk, add chicken broth, salt, pepper and nutmeg.  Increase temperature to simmer.  Continue cooking and stirring for several minutes until thickened.  Stir in milk, half & half and cheese.  Pour over vegetables and gently mix.  Top with crumb topping mixture.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until bubbling and breadcrumbs are golden brown. 






This recipe has been shared {HERE} at these great parties.  Join us!



16 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for new sides to try. This one is on my short list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh..And you want to share this one too it would be wonderful! Deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Wish I'd had this the other day...just had steamed veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a very similar recipe for breaded vegetables (minus the cream sauce), but I love the idea of adding the sauce! Next time, I will try your version for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stella,
    We would just love your Vegetable Medley, it looks so delicious! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! Thanks for linking it. I am pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds great! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delish! I am always looking for new veggie recipes. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can’t wait to see what you link up next week. Have a great weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, looks so delectable! I found your lovely blog via Manic Monday party. WOuld love it if you stopped by mine and linked this yummy recipe up! http://jessica-healthymommyhealthybaby.blogspot.com/2012/06/meatless-monday-vinegret-beet-salad.html

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. This vegetable dish looks so yummy! We are so glad you joined our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We love to see all of the great recipes and ideas!! Thanks and we hope to see you again next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looks wonderful! I love veggie casserole and would love to try your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always a great way to hide those veggies! I'm always looking for new recipes to get the family to eat healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks really yummy! Pinned! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks yummy, pinning i!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Made this tonight! A+!!! This wil be my last comment on your site because you still have the captcha and you've never contacted me about any of my comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! A+!! Thanks for trying the recipe and coming back to share your results Shiloh! I appreciate it!!

      So sorry about your frustration with the comment section. I had no idea the captcha was causing so much angst:) It never really bothered me, but I did reconsider and removed it!

      As a momma with twin 5 year olds, a 3 year old and over half way through the pregnancy with our fourth, things get a little crazy around here and I choose to devote more time to my family than my blog. I hope you understand and do continue to come back and visit. Your comments are always enjoyed!!! I'll try to do better in the future with viewers comments:) Take Care!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit Stella B's Kitchen and for sharing your thoughts and recipe results here in the comment section! I look forward to reading them!! I would love to respond personally to every one, but as a busy mom, I generally respond here on the blog rather than email. Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...