Saturday, November 17, 2012

Green Bean Casserole with Homemade Garlic & Mushroom Cream Sauce


Green Bean Casserole is a staple at all Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter feasts in my family.  But it has to be done right.  It must include the french fried onions, french cut green beans and a creamy mushroom sauce.  We normally doctor up the cream of mushroom soup with a couple extras, but the condensed soup is all we've ever had until now.  To be honest, I don't really care for the cream of mushroom soup because I hate the rubbery mushrooms, not because I'm against using condensed soups in recipes.  Sure I would love to make every element in every dish from scratch, but I enjoy a good semi homemade shortcut from time to time.  And I like this dish how it's made.

While making my turkey dinner I got everything out to begin this dish about an hour after returning from a grocery store run and couldn't find a single can of cream of mushroom soup anywhere in my pantry.  A couple of my favorite bloggers strictly make their cream of something soups from scratch and thought I would give it a whirl.  Something unexpected happened!  It was so darn good, I think I've rewritten my family's old stand-by traditional side dish!!  

This garlic and mushroom cream sauce is a-m-a-z-i-n-g.   It looks similar to the canned original, but it's lighter {not calorically people} and richer with fresh mushrooms, garlic, butter and cream and so much more flavorful.  The sauce came together in a flash and is well worth the little extra effort for your loved ones this Thanksgiving or Christmas.  Make the sauce a day or two ahead of the big meal and assemble your green bean casserole when you're ready!

Green Bean Casserole with Garlic and Mushroom Cream Sauce
recipe by Stella B's Kitchen
printer friendly version

For the garlic and mushroom cream sauce:
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 ounces mushrooms (about 2-3 button mushrooms) chopped or sliced
1 Tbsp minced onion
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
salt and pepper to taste
1/8 tsp dried thyme
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 ounce cheddar cheese or pasteurized cheese product
For the green bean casserole:
2  14.5 ounce cans french cut green beans, drained
3 ounces french fried onions, more or less to taste
1 recipe for garlic and mushroom cream sauce 

Melt butter in a saucepan and begin cooking onion, mushrooms and garlic with salt and pepper.  Once onions are softened, stir in flour and thyme.  Cook while stirring for a couple minutes to cook the flour.  Remove from heat and begin gradually stirring in cream and stock.  Whisk or stir out any lumps with each addition.  Add cheese and stir to melt.  Add more salt and pepper to taste if desired.  {Garlic and mushroom cream sauce makes about 1 1/4 cups}.  Combine green beans with cream sauce and pour into an 8x8 inch casserole.  Top with french fried onions.  Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and browned.  Tent with foil if onions are browning too quickly.

*If you plan to make the sauce ahead of time, reheat the cream sauce or beans mixed with the cream sauce in the microwave before placing in casserole and topping with french fried onions.  The dish will cook much faster and french fried onions won't likely over brown so easily.


For more holiday side dishes, try these family favorites:

Sharing with: WhipperBerry WeekendPotluck SaturdayNightSpecial SixSistersStuff FoodDoneLight HighHeels&Grills WinthropChronicles FullPlateThursday 
 
       

8 comments:

  1. I'm gong to have to make this! Love your veggie dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures. I love that you made a sauce and got rid of the can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.shilohstaste.com/2012/12/lion-house-rolls.html# I gave you a shout out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shilo!! Glad you liked it! Merry Christmas:)

      Delete
  4. I've never made a Green Bean Casserole before and I scoured the internet looking for the *best* recipe. This is hands down one of the most delicious dishes I've ever made - thank you for posting!

    A couple of changes: I cut up 2 fresh bags of green beans instead of canned. Boiled them for 20 minutes in Chicken Stock (with extra flavor) to make them tender and doubled the cream sauce recipe (which I didn't change 1 bit).

    What a wonderful treat. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa! Your variation sounds delicious also. I'll try it this summer with fresh beans! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit Stella B's Kitchen and for sharing your thoughts and recipe results here in the comment section! I look forward to reading them!! I would love to respond personally to every one, but as a busy mom, I generally respond here on the blog rather than email. Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...