Sunday, February 10, 2013

Plain Cake Donuts


Hi Friends!  Thanks for continuing to stop back each day even though it's been months since my last post.  We are all doing well here and this pregnancy is coming to an end.  Right after the last post in November we dove into Christmas and things never really slowed down for our family.  

I'll try to keep this short as it may not be all that interesting, but I have had my first experience with a blog hacker which took days to straighten out...and seriously, why?  This little space is just a fun place to post recipes and there is no money involved, nothing to be gained from the hackers except maybe the satisfaction of getting under the skin of a pregnant lady.  Strange.  

Then, being hosted by Blogger, apparently between my recipe blog and my personal family blog I've run out of space to upload pictures and documents.  Of course it's easily fixed with a monthly fee!  I'm at a cross-roads with this space to devote more time into the blog and try to make those monthly fees worth the time and effort, but I haven't come to a decision yet.  I have spent hours trying to find a way around the fees and using a different method to edit and upload pictures...which I figured out for awhile, but then forgot how I did it after Christmas arrived...and I'm kind of back to square one. 

It got a little overwhelming knowing I needed to sit down for hours to try and straighten out the mess and get back on the horse, but whenever it came down to that choice of blogging or doing something with my kids/family/home,  the need to blog wasn't as strong as those other things.  Really, I've stepped away from the computer all together, checking only my personal email periodically.  I still continue to try new recipes and have a list of yummy things we've eaten that I should have photographed and shared, but didn't.  

The happy news is, in the past couple months our new learning area (large storage closet in basement converted to a fun craft/learning space for the kids) in the basement was completed, we finally put some things on the walls of our new home, we've been having game nights on a frequent basis, we're all reading a lot more and we're ready for this baby to arrive!  We're slowing down and enjoying more!  It's been great.

Sorry, that wasn't so short, but I'll get to the point now: DONUTS! 

Did you know you can have fresh donuts on the table in under 30 minutes?  Well you can!  I've always avoided frying foods, fear of the unknown I guess.  After trying these in shallow oil I was surprised at how fast and easy they were to make.  And man are they good!!  Why not just go buy some?  Well, our little guy can't have anything from a bakery and sometimes you just need a real donut.  Am I right?

Before you start, make sure your thermometer is calibrated so you don't under or over cook the donuts.  I saved you some time by baking some of this dough in a donut pan and they were really bad, so no need to go there!  

Experiment with a couple sample donut balls to make sure your timing/temperature are right for your taste.  The recipe I used suggested frying these for much longer than needed on each side.  These truly are best the day made and not so great the day after.  

Plain Cake Donuts
adapted lightly from recipe source: All Recipes


2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup 1% milk
1 egg, beaten
1 quart oil for frying

Heat oil in large, heavy pot to 375 degrees F.  Sift together dry ingredients.  Mix in butter  until crumbly.  Stir in milk and eggs, mix until smooth.  Knead lightly, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface.  Roll or pat into 1/4 inch thickness.  Shape donuts with biscuit or donut cutter.  Or, portion into balls.  Carefully drop donuts into hot oil, a few at a time.  Do not overcrowd pot.  Fry, turning to brown evenly for a couple minutes while keeping an eye on the temperature.  Drain on a paper towel.  {Roll in cinnamon-sugar, powdered sugar or ice as desired.}

Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. So at some point, blogger will start charging me? Hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...SO FRUSTRATING! I know. I'll keep you posted on what I learn and decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are doing well Stella - miss you and your beautiful recipes and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checking in to see how you are. Hope all is well. Miss you and your beautiful photos and recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit Stella B's Kitchen and for sharing your thoughts and recipe results here in the comment section! I look forward to reading them!! I would love to respond personally to every one, but as a busy mom, I generally respond here on the blog rather than email. Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...